On this latest episode our host Christine Blake chatted with Nicole Blake Johnson, Managing Editor at GovLoop, the knowledge network for government.
Nicole always wanted to be an orthopedic surgeon, that is….until she saw a full knee replacement. It was then she decided to pursue her love of telling stories and become a journalist. She started at GovLoop six years ago as a staff writer and has since worked her way up to Managing Editor.
As Managing Editor, Nicole oversees a talented team of reporters with the goal of telling stories at the intersection of technology and management in government. She sees her job as the “vision setter” and the “remover of red tape” so that her team can tell impactful stories.
On this episode, Nicole discusses the more than 300,000 people that make up the GovLoop community, from analysts and government officials, to nurses and librarians. She loves the community and the connection that GovLoop is able to foster.
Listen to the full podcast to hear from Nicole on all of this and more, including:
- How You Can Join the GovLoop Community
- Her Role as Managing Editor at GovLoop
- Her Most Memorable Story
- The Importance of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Her Project on the Topic
- Nicole’s Career Path
- What Constitutes News in a Flooded News Cycle
Interested in more from GovLoop? Find additional information at the links below:
- GovLoop Newsletter, Sign up Here: https://go.govloop.com/daily-awesome.html
- NextGen Government Training Summit: https://www.nextgengovt.com/
- Featured Contributor Program & General Tips For Contributing Content to GovLoop.com/Pitching Stories: https://www.govloop.com/guidelines-for-contributing-content-to-govloop-com/
0:53 – Nicole and GovLoop’s Background
3:21 – How to Join the GovLoop Network
6:39 – Nicole’s Role at GovLoop
8:40 – Nicole’s Most Memorable Story
11:29 – Details on the GovLoop Contributor Network
15:46 – Usefulness of GovLoop
16:15 – How Nicole Became a Journalist
20:48 – How COVID Affected GovLoop
23:00 – GovLoop Reader Backgrounds
24:37 – What Constitutes News
27:19 – Nicole’s Social Media Use