This Week in Government Tech Media – August 17, 2026

Given that the government tech media has a demonstrated interest in the ambitious Golden Dome missile defense program, it might not be surprising that we saw a heap of coverage from the Space & Missile Defense Symposium 2026 (SMD 2026) conference last week. There was also broad coverage of a groundbreaking White House order regarding private sector cyber attacks against foreign adversaries. Check out my roundup below for details:

Golden Dome News in Huntsville

Reporters converged in Huntsville, Alabama last week to cover the SMD 2026 conference. Most of their attention was directed at news related to the Golden Dome initiative. A sampling of that coverage follows:

  • Golden Dome Director Gen. Michael Guetlein told SMD 2026 attendees that progress on the missile defense architecture is at risk of being delayed due to budget instability headed into fiscal 2027, according to coverage by Mikayla Easley in DefenseScoop
  • Ashley Roque of Breaking Defense also covered Guetlein’s remarks and his warning that work on the national air defense shield could come to a grinding halt in October if lawmakers do not figure out a way to continue funding for the presidential initiative.
  • In Defense One, Thomas Novelly wrote that Guetlein cited a “tough budget environment” as lawmakers remain cool to the administration’s request for a third partisan-led defense-funding measure to fund the program.
  • Roque’s colleague Theresa Hitchens noted Guetlein’s announcement at the event that the 12 contenders for future space-based interceptor development contracts for Golden Dome passed the first of four milestones in the Space Force’s demonstration effort. 
  • Guetlein also used the occasion to announce that the Pentagon launched a digital industry portal to identify and evaluate commercial and nontraditional technologies for the Golden Dome architecture, with initial areas of interest spanning sensors, radar, artificial intelligence, command and control, electronic warfare, cybersecurity, positioning, navigation and timing, and kinetic and nonkinetic weapons, according to an article by Jamie Whitney for Military & Aerospace Electronics.
  • Jane Edwards noted in ExecutiveGov that the portal will also give suppliers access to tools to help address sub-tier supply chain vulnerabilities and reduce dependence on a limited number of vendors. 
  • The portal will provide companies with a channel to submit concepts and gain access to unclassified information about the program’s technology needs, even as most of the architecture remains classified, according to a piece by Sandra Erwin in Space News.
  • Erwin also reported from Huntsville that Gen. Stephen Whiting, head of the U.S. Space Command, said the command has ranked offensive space capabilities and systems for countering proliferated low Earth orbit constellations as its two highest priority needs for fiscal years 2029 through 2033. 
  • Breaking Defense’s Roque covered comments from the conference by Lt. Gen. John Rafferty, head of the Army Space and Missile Defense Command, who said an Army unit has been selected to begin training and testing out plans for the Golden Dome air defense mission – although he did not disclose which unit.

White House Unleashes Private Hackers

The White House last week issued a national security memorandum that opens the door for private sector hackers to target the country’s enemies through offensive cyber attacks. The order generated coverage across the media landscape:

  • Tim Starks of CyberScoop noted that the memorandum lays the groundwork for private sector companies to take a larger role in helping law enforcement carry out offensive hacking operations against transnational criminal organizations.
  • In a separate article, Starks reported that experts raised concerns that the order could present a number of legal, practical and moral pitfalls. 
  • The directive gives executive directors from the departments of Homeland Security and Justice authority to greenlight companies’ cyber operations unless the authorization would result in a loss of life, serious injury or “rise to the level of use of forced or armed attack under international law,” according to coverage by Christian Robles of Nextgov/FCW.
  • Participants must undergo rigorous vetting and sign formal contracts that may require a bond or escrow of at least $1 million, which will be forfeited if a company fails to comply with operational requirements, Eduard Kovacs wrote in tech trade publication SecurityWeek
  • Steve Zurier of tech trade SC Media noted that companies like Microsoft and Google have worked closely with the government for years, but the memorandum expands the program and marks a change in policy from one in which military and intelligence agencies primarily conducted offensive hacking operations. 
  • Grace Dille of MeriTalk quoted a White House fact sheet that said, “By partnering with vetted U.S. companies, we will enhance our ability to counter TCO [transnational criminal organization] threats and combat transnational cybercrime, fraud, and other predatory schemes against American citizens.” 
  • Targets will include foreign groups that launch ransomware attacks, run phishing campaigns and engage in financial fraud, sextortion and sophisticated social engineering scams, according to an article in GovInfoSecurity by Matthew Schwartz.
  • The order to “unleash” the private sector to conduct offensive cyber operations against foreign criminal hackers is raising novel questions about government oversight, as well as legal liability and other risks for private companies that enlist in the program, Justin Doubleday wrote in Federal News Network
  • In Defense One, Patrick Tucker quoted a Homeland Security official who said, “The United States just revived privateering for the digital age,” terminology which Tucker wrote illustrates the nebulous line between legal and illegal attacks against foreign targets.

Upcoming Industry Events

As summer winds down, we’ve noted a couple of events on the calendar for this week. See our weekly listing below:

If you would like your event included in this list, please fill out this form.

If you find this roundup helpful, subscribe on LinkedIn or via the form below to receive it every week. Tell a friend or colleague as well!